Muflehun *ADAMS * MPAC * ISNA * Masjid Muhammad (The Nation’s Mosque)
* Dar Al-Hijrah * First Hijrah Foundation* ICNVT * IMAAM * ISWA * MakeSpace * MAV * Mclean Islamic Center * Muslimat Al-Nisaat *
American Muslims United Against Violent Extremism: Imams and Leaders Respond to ISIS
Press Conference on Wednesday, September 10th, at 9:30 a.m. ET
Lisagor Room-National Press Club
(Washington DC – 9/8/2014) – On Wednesday, Sept. 10, American Muslim Imams, leaders, and organizations will hold a national summit and press conference with national and regional community leaders. We have also invited law enforcement to the National Press Club to address the escalation of violent extremism by ISIS and the community’s response to the potential for threats against the U.S. homeland.
On the eve of the 13th anniversary of 9/11, we remember the victims and families of the horrific terrorist attacks that claimed the lives of almost 3,000 Americans. We will reaffirm the Islamic principles of condemnation of terrorism, protection of life and religious freedom.
The horrific murders of American journalists Steven Sotloff and James Foley are reminders of the need for Americans to remain vigilant in communities across the country. In confronting violent extremism in the United States, communities and leaders have responded with multiple initiatives to counter this toxic narrative including, fatwas (edicts) , counter-narrative and online radicalization prevention programs and community intervention programs like the “Safe Spaces Initiative: Tools for Developing Healthy Communities,” which all serve as a critical component, in partnership with law enforcement to prevent, intervene or eject individuals who may be susceptible to violent extremism.
During the summit and press conference, American Muslim leaders will reaffirm the fatwa against extremism and unveil programs and initiatives that counter toxic narratives and ideas used to recruit vulnerable individuals.
An online interactive discussion will also take place on Twitter using the hashtag #UnitedAgainstExtremism.
SUMMIT and PRESS CONFERENCE
9:30 a.m. ET on Wednesday, Sept. 10th
Lisagor Room-National Press Club
529 14th St NW, Washington, DC 20045
- Imam Mohammad Magid, Imam, All Dulles Area Muslim Society (ADAMS)
- Imam Zia Makhdoom, Imam, MakeSpace
- Imam Talib M. Shareef, President, Masjid Muhammad Inc. and CMSgt, United States Air Force-retired
- Humera Khan, Executive Director, Muflehun
- Haris Tarin, DC office Director, Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC)
- Rizwan Jaka, Board Member, Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) and Chair of All Dulles Area Muslim Society (ADAMS) Board
- Faizul Khan, Imam, Islamic Society of Washington and Board Member, Islamic Society of North America
- Asma Hanif, Executive Director and Board Member, Muslimat Al-Nisaat
- Imam Johari Abdul Malik, Outreach Director, Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Center
- Rafi Ahmed, President, Muslim Association of Virginia
- Dr. Maqsood Chaudhry, Chair, Mclean Islamic Center
- Mohsin Ali Khan, President, Mclean Islamic Center
- Najib Mohammed, President, First Hijrah Foundation
- Arif Mostafa, President, Indonesian Muslim Association in America (IMAAM)
- Other sponsors and speakers may be added